Facts On The Human Brain
Let's Start With A Little History
Before we get to the facts on the human brain, let's start with a little history. If you're in a hurry, head straight to the bottom of this page for links to the good stuff :)
The human brain is an incredibly complex organ. Even though day-by-day we are unravelling new secrets, our journey to full understanding of the brain's function is still not complete. The first foot steps of that journey begins with the ancients.
The ancient Greeks and Egyptians (about 400BC) understood that the brain was the command and control organ. Hippocrates (right) recognised that the brain played a part in sensation and intelligence. A few decades later (387 BC) Plato teaches in Athens that the brain is where our mental processes take place. However there are competing theories that suggest the heart is the center of thought, Aristotle (335 BC) declares that the heart, not the brain, is where the action is. In fact this ancient belief becomes so popular and well recieved that it spawns the saying "to memorize by heart". From 0 AD to 1500 AD a growing consensus among scholars that the brain is the seat of power in the body, begins to solidify and becomes commonly accepted fact. As such physicians begin recognizing and diagnosing neurological disorders and even begin to devise surgical treatments to remedy them. But because of the ban on human dissection by the church nothing concrete is proven until the renaissance.
During the renaissance the ban is lifted and the scientific/empirical method prevails. The great scholars like Leonardo da Vinci and Rene Descartes finally get to take a peek inside the human head and start documenting and making diagrams of the brain. During this process the various different parts of the brain get named and their seperate functions are hypothesized. Many of the basic facts on the human brain are discovered as a result of this first empirical look at the brain.
In the modern era research into the brain gathers tremendous momentum. This area of study begins to overflow with so much knowledge and further questions that it cannot be contained in a single category. Research and findings are split up and focused into numerous disciplines such as neuroscience, cognitive science, psychology, behavioral science, etc. Basic facts on the human brain become academic fact. This is when we start figuring out the functions of the different areas in the brain and how the brain actually works.
Right now we are getting closer and closer to answering that question completely. In fact the majority of breakthroughs in brain sciences have happened in the last 15 years! Including the discovery that brain cells are constantly created and connecting to each other, even in late life. So stay tuned! The next big brain blockbuster is around the corner.
Like this Article?
More Information About The Brain!
- Facts and Figures. Here are a bunch of fun facts about the human brain and even more statistics!
- What are the basic brain parts that comprise the human thinking organ?
- Diagrams of the Brain. Great labeled diagrams of the human brain.
- Parts of the Brain and where they're located.
- Brain Parts and Functions. What do the different parts do? Find out here.
- The Blood Brain Barrier filters what gets to the brain but there is a downside to keeping the brain that clean, find out what that is here.
- The Memory of the Human Brain is an incredible phenomenon. Without it we couldn't live our lives or even accomplish anything. Learn here what's behind our memory.
- Human Brain Folds. Ever wonder what's behind the shape of our brain's surface?
- Brain Ventricles Neurology has come far in helping diagnose brain illness through this examination..
- What Side of the Brain Controls Speech?The answer may not be quite that simple and might surprise you.
- The Brain Effects of Altruism are different. What happens in the brain when you give?
- Brain Cancer Ribbons show your support for those affected by this disease and they help raise awareness. Find out which color represents brain cancer and where to get them!
- Brain Plasticity refers to the brain's ability to adapt. See how its both good and bad for you.
- There are connections between watching television and brain function. Most of them negative. Here are some things to think about next time you reach for that remote.
- Ever wonder What Does The Brain Look Like? We have the answer right here.
- Brain Anatomy The brain is a complex organ that works as the control center of the entire body. It is in charge of sending and receiving messages, and making sure that everything works together.
- Brain Function There are lots of simple ways that you can improve your brain function - exercise, proper diet, getting plenty of laughter and staying mentally active to name just a few.
- Brain Stem This is the message center of the body. The article describes each part and what it does in detail.
- Human Brain When you compare the human brain to even the most advanced computer technology, this organ wins. It is more complex and adaptive than any technology can be.
- Left Brain There are two types of people - those that are dominated by the right brain and those by the left brain. This article describes the typical characteristics of left-brained people. It also has a test to help you find out if you're one of them.
- Neurology is a young science that works on diagnosing and treating problems with the brain. The brain is the human body's most complex organ, and the science of neurology is gradually uncovering its secrets.
- Right Brain Although it doesn't sound very scientific, it's true that some people seem to be more dominated by their right brain than left. This article looks at how right-brained people tend to be different in their personalities and interests.
- Anatomy of Brain Studying brain anatomy helps us learn how the mind functions and processes information. It's also essential to treating brain injuries. This article takes a quick look at basic brain anatomy.
- Brain Diagram In this article, we take a look at a brain diagram and briefly explain what each part of the brain does. We examine this amazing organ by looking at its parts from front to back, inside to out and side to side.
- Brain Facts You probably know that your brain's neurons send signals at lightning fast speeds, but did you know that your brain feels like a ripe avocado and it's so soft if could be cut with a butter knife? This article is full of many more strange and fun brain facts just like that!
- Function of Brain At every second, your brain is handling a wide array of tasks. How does it do all of this? This article looks at the basics of brain function and describes in brief how it all works.
- Parts of Brain This article takes a quick look at the major brain parts and how they work together. These brain parts manage every single thing your body does, whether intentional or not; it's truly an amazing organ.
- Brain System Does the brain system work like a computer to control our mental and physical functions? It's tempting to draw parallels, but the truth is that the two are completely different. While computers can process information more quickly than the human brain, the brain system is more complex and capable of infinitely more than its digital counterpart.
- Brain The brain is the body's most fascinating organ. We know a lot about it, but it still presents researchers with lots of uncharted territory. Even though your brain thinks, feels and sends signals to control the rest of the body, there's a lot ordinary people don't know about how it works. This article has 6 really strange facts you probably didn't know about your own noggin.
- Frontal Lobe is a part of the cerebrum that handles cognitive skills and memory. This article discusses all the things your frontal lobe does, and also gives some symptoms of damage to this area.
- Glial Cells You know about neurons, but what about glial cells? These tiny cells don't get much notice for their hard work, but they provide a support network and keep house in your brain. This article is all about glial cells in detail and what they do. Don't worry; it's written in layman's terms that anybody can understand!
- Hemispheres of Brain Are you right-brained or left-brained? This article looks at which functions the hemispheres of brain handle to help you decide which you are. Then it takes a closer look at the scientific evidence to explain how our brains work.
- The Human Brain Even though we're so similar genetically to chimpanzees and bonobos, the human brain is markedly different than that of any of the great apes. This article looks at how the human brain is different and explores possible reasons for these differences.
- Lobes of Brain There are 4 lobes of brain and they are each responsible for different functions. This article looks at the lobes of brain and explains what they do. It also describes the symptoms of brain injury to each area.
- Structure of Brain in men and women is slightly different. Why can't men multitask and why can't women do math?? The answers are explained here!
- The Brain is an amazing control center that processes everything your body does. This article looks at some commonly asked questions about the brain and how it works.