Keeping Your Brain In Shape
Brain training has been publicised quite a lot over the past few years and that is because experts have realised just how important our brain health is to our overall well being and quality of life. If you want to live a happy and healthy life, you need to have a well functioning, healthy brain. Just like the muscles in your body, your brain is a 'use it or lose it' organ. You know when muscles arent used very much they begin to get weak and atrophy, the exact same thing can happen to your brain! If you let it languish for too long it will start losing its potency. You gotta keep those brain cells strong and alert! There are tons of exercises and programs (not to mention brain teasers and puzzles) that can help you keep your brain fit and cognitively firing on all cylinders! Being buff isn't just for those dumb muscle cells anymore!
Lots of brain training exercises are developed with the memory in mind but there are also many other types of training that can be done to help other parts of the brain. Think of weight training, body builders don't spend all their time just training one part of there bodies, to be a brain heavyweight you need the same strategy of working to improve all functions. Perhaps your listening skills aren't as good as they could be, or perhaps you find it hard dealing with numbers? Whatever your weakness there is a way to strengthen that cognitive function.
No Pain, No Gain.
The main thing to remember about training your brain is that you need the activities to be challenging. In the gym, using too little weight really doesn't do much to build muscle. The same is true of brain training. Training with activities that are too easy won't really give you any benefit. You need to challenge your brain in order to help to improve it. So if you want to improve your memory, you need challenge it by memorizing a growing number of items. Want to be quicker with your arithmetic? Sweat through more and harder math problems. The more you use a certain brain function, the more brain cells will be connected to that part of the brain and existing connections are reinforced.
Mix It Up
You'll want to mix up your brain training activities as well. Both to keep things fresh and interesting for yourself and to use your brain functions in different ways and combinations. If you are doing math problems, maybe try doing them backwards or doing them with objects instead of written numbers, like on flash cards. If you like reading, try reading a different genre than you usually read. The key here is to keep your brain on it's toes and guessing.
Overall brain training is designed to help you to improve the health of your brain. You go to the gym and keep fit to keep your body healthy, but what about your brain? Check the links below for some of the best ways for you to train your brain. Learn which brain training strategy best suits you!
Like this Article?
More on Brain Training
- Brain Improvement Exercises help you maintain a strong mind. Learn what types of activities help you stay sharp!
- Increase Brain Creativity with 3 effective steps. Learn just how your creativity works in your brain and how to developed a more creative mind.
- Jigsaw Puzzles and Brain Training. Solving these puzzles does alot more than pass the time..
- The Effects of Music on the Brain are more than just emotional. Here is exactly what types of effects music has on the human brain.
- Brain Meditation helps you to calm and strengthen your mind. It's an ancient practice and this is why it's making a comeback.
- Increase Brain Power with some solid strategies presented in this article.
- Brain Fitness Exercises can be a great way prevent many brain conditions, such as dementia. Here are some great tips for brain trainers of all ages.
- Memory Improvement is something that is probably on your mind no matter what age you are. Check out these tips on how to improve your memory.
- Here are some Games To Improve Your Memory. Try these out next time you need to remember a list.
- Brain Improvement is a great way to expand your thinking ability. Just like training for a sport, you've got to consider every aspect of your daily life, such as eating and daily habits. This article explains how to get the most out of training your brain.
- Brain Trainer exercises can help your mind function more effectively and ward off illnesses such as Alzheimer's disease. This article looks at how you can do this.
- Training Brain is a fun way to sharpen the most important organ of your body. This article briefly describes what kinds of things you can do to train your brain and some tips on how to get started.
- Fun Brain Review Fun Brain is a website full of games to help children use their mental faculties to their fullest. It makes learning and sharpening thinking skills fun. This article is a quick review of this site and all it has to offer.
- Games For Brain are a fun way to challenge your mind. They also help to build new neural pathways and improve all sorts of mental functions. This article introduces the idea and gives you a few examples.
- Aso Brain is a site developed by two Java programmers to play games on. It's full of online versions of board where you can use strategy to stretch your brain power. It's also packed with interesting features. With all of its features and games, Aso Brain can be a very fun and very addictive waste of your precious time.
- Brain Age is a Nintendo DS game that's all about sharpening your mind and getting you thinking. It contains a wide variety of simple tasks and it's designed to be used for just a few minutes a day. It offers an easy way to give your mind the workout it needs.
- Brain Exercises sharpen your thinking, increase your ability to focus, boost your memory and provide a wealth of other benefits. Here are 6 simple ones that you can do anywhere.
- Brain Gym is a program that uses various exercises to get kids away from their desks and moving. The idea is that you learn better when you're in physical motion. This article looks at the history and philosophy behind Brain Gym, and also examines some of the criticism the program has received.
- Brain Power It's easier than you think to increase your brain power. This article has some tips that you can do by yourself without buying any brain games or software.
- Brain Train is a company that was founded in 1989 to help people with ADD/ADHD, brain injuries or other mental impairments improve their mental functioning. Its programs focus on improving memory, attention, cognitive abilities, life skills and more. It offers a wide range of software packages as well as training workshops and other materials to help educators. This article is a review of the Brain Train website and all that it has to offer.