Fun Brain Facts That You Never Knew Before!
The brain is an incredible organ. It does all of your thinking for you and controls all of your body’s functions, both voluntary and involuntary. Here are some interesting and strange brain facts that most people don’t know.
The Weight Of Your Brain
Your brain uses 20% of the energy of your whole body but it only weighs 2%. An elephant’s brain is larger than a human brain, but only takes up 0.15% of its body, so that gives you an idea of how smart we are. The human brain is around 3 pounds. As far as parts of the body go, that’s not very heavy. Your skin actually weights twice as much as your brain!
What’s The Brain Feel Like?
Billions And Billions
Your brain is around 78% water. The rest is lipids, protein, carbohydrates, salt, and other organic materials. There are 100 billion brain cells (neurons) in the brain. That’s roughly the same number of stars in our galaxy. There are 100,000 miles of blood vessels with about 3 cans of soda’s worth of blood flowing through it every minute.
While you’re awake, your brain is creating anywhere from 10 to 25 watts of power. This is enough to power a light bulb. Whenever you have a new thought or remember something, you actually create a new physical connection. On average, every person has around 70,000 thoughts in one day.
Hopefully one of them is to call your mother – it’s her birthday. The brain generates more electrical impulses in a day than all of the telephones in the world put together. You blink about 20,000 times a day and each time your brain’s visual receptors kick in to keep things lit up for you.
Amazing Kids And Old People
The first sense babies develop in the womb is the sense of touch. Babies are born with a natural ability for joy, happiness, fear, and shyness. How a child is nurtured determines how these emotions develop. Children who speak two languages before age five have denser grey matter as adults.
We hope you enjoyed these fun brain facts. In spite of it being mostly water and feeling like an avocado, your brain does amazing things. Share these fun brain facts with your friends and you can make some great party conversation that will make everybody wonder about you!
Brain Statistics Galore
Dimensions and Sizes
- Average dimensions of the adult brain: Width = 140 mm/5.5 in, Length = 167 mm/6.5 in, Height = 93 mm/3.6 in.
- How much does the human brain weigh? At birth, our brains weigh an average of 350-400g (about 4/5 lbs), as adults the brain averages 1300-1400g (about 3 lbs).
- If Stretched out the cerebral cortex would be 0.23 sq. m(2.5sq.ft), the area of a night table.
- The total surface area of the cerebral cortex is 2,500 cm2 or 2.69 sq.ft.
- The composition of the brain = 77-78% water, 10-12% lipids, 8% protein, 1% carbs, 2% soluble organics, 1% inorganic salt.
- The breakdown of intracranial contents by volume (1,700 ml, 100%): brain = 1,400 ml (80%); blood = 150 ml (10%); cerebrospinal fluid = 150 ml (10%).
- The cerebellum contains half of all the neurons in the brain but comprises only 10% of the brain.
- The cerebral cortex is about 85% of the brain.
- Percentage of total cerebral cortex volume = frontal lobe 41%, temporal lobe 22%, parietal lobe 19%, occipital lobe 18%.
- There are about 100 billion neurons in the human brain, the same number of stars in our galaxy.
- The left hemisphere of the brain has 186 million more neurons than the right hemisphere.
- 750-1000ml of blood flow through the brain every minute or about 3 full soda cans.
- In that minute the brain will consume 46cm3 (1/5 cups) of oxygen from that blood.
- Of that oxygen consumed, 6% will be used by the brain’s white matter and 94% by the grey matter.
- The brain can stay alive for 4 to 6 minutes without oxygen. After that cells begin to die.
- The slowest speed at which information travels between neurons is 416 km/h or 260 mph, that’s as “slow” as today’s supercar’s top speed (the Bugatti EB 16.4 Veyron clocked at 253 mph).
- 10 seconds is the amount of time until unconsciousness after the loss of blood supply to the brain.
- Time until reflex loss after loss of blood supply to the brain, 40-110 seconds.
- During early pregnancy, the rate of neuron growth is 250,000 neurons a minute.
Other Fun Facts About The Human Brain
- Results from cognitive tests show that 30% of 80-year-olds perform as well as young adults.
- Your brain is about 2% of your total body weight but uses 20% of your body’s energy.
- The energy used by the brain is enough to light a 25-watt bulb.
- More electrical impulses are generated in one day by a single human brain than by all the telephones in the world.
- How much does the human brain think? 70,000 is the number of thoughts that it is estimated the human brain produces on an average day.
- After age 30, the brain shrinks a quarter of a percent (0.25%) in mass each year.
- Albert Einstein’s brain weighed 1,230 grams (2.71 lbs), significantly less than the human average of 1,300g to 1,400g (3 lbs).
- Each year Americans consume 50 billion aspirin tablets or 15.5 million tons.
- 89.06 is the percentage of people who report normally writing with their right hand, 10.6% with their left, and 0.34% with either hand.