Baby's Brain Power
Off To A Great Start!
Believe it or not but your babies brain power development actually starts within the womb. We all know that a baby growing in the womb is a real life person, but not many people consider the fact that our baby's brain is actually developing throughout our pregnancy. So right from the minute the baby starts to grow, our lifestyle choices do have an impact on the babies brain.
Throughout a pregnancy, the baby's brain is growing extremely quickly. In fact at one stage of prenatal brain development the brain is producing roughly a quarter of a million new neurons every single minute. This is a staggering amount and it is one of the reasons why pregnant women get so tired. The baby's brain is thought to have developed so much throughout the pregnancy that the baby can actually recognise its mother's voice before it is born. That is the reason why a baby and its mother have such a strong bond after the birth. The baby recognises the mother's voice and that instantly soothes them.
Every lifestyle decision that the mother makes can have a direct impact on the baby's brain power. For example, if the mother drank a lot of alcohol when she was pregnant, it is possible that the baby's brain could develop slightly differently. This is because the brain cells would not necessarily know where to go when the brain was developing because of the high alcohol consumption.
Another thing that can happen to a developing brain throughout pregnancy is that little clumps of brain cells can start to develop outside of the brain. This causes conditions such as dyslexia and again it is due to lifestyle choices made by the mother whilst the baby was still in the womb.
Postnatal Brain Development
Generally the baby's brain will have millions of connections but the ones that the body does not need will eventually disappear. Only connections that are used by the child will stay such as the connection that helps the baby to grip onto objects or the connection that helps the child's attention span. Within the first year of your child's postnatal brain development you will notice that their development is extremely quick. It is really hard to keep up with the changes that occur and you will witness your child starting to crawl, babble and you will see their attention span becoming clearer with each month that passes.
Like this Article?
More On Child Brain Development
- Brain Based Learning. Find out how to teach the way the brain wants to learn.
- Increasing Baby Brain Development is not hard with these 6 helpful tips on raising a genius.
- Prenatal Brain Development is important to understand so we can give our children the best start in life. Learn here how the brain develops in the womb.
- Postnatal Brain Development is a crucial time in your baby's development. Learn how to maximize the benfits during this stage and make sure your child thrives at school, work and beyond.
- Preschool Brain Development of your child is an incredibly important time in your child's overall development. Employ these 3 keys to life long learning.
- Infant White Matter Disease is a little known disease that can affect your newborn baby. Check here for what to look for.
- Development of Brain starts earlier than you might imagine. This article looks at the development of brain from the womb to the first few years of life, and also recommends some ways to make sure your child's brain develops to its fullest.